expanded polystyrene

Expanded polystyrene can be used for many different purposes, but is especially useful for packing!

Here at Advanced Packaging, we use many different types of inserts to fit your packing needs. A couple of weeks ago we talked about polyurethane foam and its history. Today we’re going to talk about another material we can use for your packaging needs – expanded polystyrene. This material has many other uses aside from as a packaging insert. What is expanded polystyrene? Read on!

Light as Air

Expanded polystyrene is extremely lightweight – mainly because the material is about 95% air! The other 5% is plastic-based, tiny beads expanded to become a uniform material. The small beads are heated to achieve this expansion, and the resulting beads are about forty times larger than they were when the process started. Expanded polystyrene is naturally inert and does not result in any chemical reactions. It is used in construction as an insulating material because pests are not attracted to it. It is also does not absorb water, which means it cannot rot and does not promote mold growth.

Great for Packing and the Environment

Expanded polystyrene is a great material to use for packing. It has very good shock-absorbing properties, making it a good insert for cases transporting fragile items. Since it is very good at insulation, it also performs well for transporting perishable or heat-sensitive items as well. Expanded polystyrene, being made of plastic and air, is a very environmentally friendly polymer. It has the largest recycling rate of any plastic and does not figure much in municipal waste collection. The industry is very active in encouraging the recycling of expanded polystyrene. Choosing expanded polystyrene for your cases is a great move for your cargo and for the environment!

Want to Utilize Expanded Polystyrene in Your Cases?

We have extensive experience in working with expanded polystyrene and we know that cases need to be rugged and reliable. Not only are the majority of our cases watertight, but they also can be fitted with custom foam interiors to make sure that any cargo gets safely from point A to point B without getting shuffled around and breaking. We have watertight cases for weapons, electronic integrations, medical supplies and more. API is also equipped with the latest in quality assurance and process control monitoring technology, including drop testing, protecting your electronic equipment from unforeseen accidents and events. Our team of craftsmen regularly build and then test a variety complex electronic assemblies.

If you have any questions, please contact Advanced Packaging Inc. by calling 1-888-206-5250 or visit our website today!

You can also follow us on FacebookTwitter, and Google+.